R&D&I is one of the basic pillars of the strategy of the OHL Group for its contribution to the development and improvement of productivity and competitiveness. Evidence of this is the nearly 87 million euro invested in the 2000-2015 period in the execution of more than 150 innovative projects.
Research, development and innovation (R&D&I)
In the last five years, the OHL Group has developed an innovative strategy formalized in the R&D&I Master Plan 2010-2015. This strategic tool sets out the general lines of the R&D&I policy of the OHL Group and establishes the organizational structure and work methodology, as well as the priority activities in six high-impact research area for the Group’s business: transport infrastructure, unique buildings, maritime works, energy, information technology and communications (ICT), and improving processes and operations. In 2015 a total of six group companies were certified under the standard UNE 166002: Obrascón Huarte Lain, OHL Concesiones, OHL Industrial, Asfaltos y Construcciones Elsan, Sociedad Anónima Trabajos y Obras (SATO) and Agrupación Guinovart Obras y Servicios Hispania (G&O).
- 5th edition of the OHL Award for Idea + Innovative.
- 3rd edition of OHL Construcción’s LIDERA! Program.
- 2nd edition of OHL Concesiones’s Innova Program.
- Technological Superveillance and Competitive Intelligence Service.
Reference company in R&D&I
Major initiatives with the participation of OHL:
- 79% of turnover in 2015 development under certified quality management system.
- Average rating of the customer satisfaction index of the OHL Group in 2015 was 7.7 (scale of 10). The country with the highest rating is Mexico (8.4), followed by Peru (8.3) and Australia and Chile (8.0).
- European Construction Technology Platform (ECTP).
- European Network of Construction Companies for Research and Development (ENCORD).
- Smart Transportation Alliance (STA).
- Cotec Foundation for technological innovation.
- Plataforma Tecnológica Española de Construcción (PTEC).
- SEOPAN R&D&I Commission.
The OHL Group promotes the development of innovative solutions focused on efficiency, process improvement and the development of new products and services that contribute to generating value for the customer and society.
- Tráfico y Transporte Sistemas (TTS), a technology subsidiary of OHL Concesiones, has become the developer of innovative initiatives launched by OHL Concesiones, which are then marketed in the division companies and other outside companies.
- Drawing up a catalogue of innovative technologies and processes performed in OHL Concesiones and all its subsidiaries for the dissemination of knowledge.
- Completion of the FOTsis project (Field Operational Test on Intelligent Safe and Sustainable Road Operation), european initiative for the development of new road transport technologies in the field of cooperative services between vehicles and the infrastructure, that in 2015 has received the award for “The most innovative Project” awarded by the Smart Transportation Alliance, a not profit global platform for the promotion of innovation in transport infrastructure.
- In 2015 the division has worked on 46 projects of R&D&I in the home markets, with a participation of more than 80 people.
- There have been 3 new patent applications with an international scope.
- Implementation of various operational plans and implementation of proprietary technologies:
- First application of Cubipod outside Spain and OHL’s first contract with third parties to license this technology and associated know-how.
- Implementation of the project “Ultrathin reinforcements for heavy traffic conditions and low road noise” of the Port Authority of Huelva, first application in Spain of the public procurement formula of innovative technology with attendance of European innovation funds for building road infrastructure.
- Participation in the 7th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE 2015) through the Futuro Solar research & development project. ICAE 15 is an international congress held in the United Arab Emirates and organized by Applied Energy, one of the most prestigious magazines in the field of energy.
- Progress in the implementation of the Core project. Strong wager on integration into a single platform of all of the intelligent systems supporting the design and management of industrial projects. In production since 2014 in Spain and Mexico, and deployment during 2015 at the headquarters in Chile and Oman.
- Application of the BIM methodology for the performance of projects at the strategic reserve terminal for petroleum products in Jordan.