Since 2003, the OHL Group has maintained a public and voluntary commitment to sustainable development, which is driven by the Board of Directors through the Audit, Compliance and CSR Committee and shared by all of the organization’s employees. This commitment is materialized through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and is transmitted to the third parties who interact with the Group.
Overall, 2015 has been a highly significant year in the context of CSR, corporate governance and sustainable development, thanks to the driving force of the United Nations, the World Economic Forum, the European Union and the Spanish Regulators, on expanding and further developing the working frameworks relating to these issues.
- Approval of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- 21st Conference of the Parties (COP21) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- Global Risks report issued by the World Economic Forum.
- Package of measures approved by the European Commission on the “circular economy”.
- New Corporate Governance Guidelines for listed companies published in Spain by the Spanish Regulator: Comisión Nacional del Mercado de Valores (CNMV).
In the face of these new challenges, arising in both the international and national level, the OHL Group has initiated a process of adaptation for taking in and providing a response to these demanding issues through a number of channels of action tied to its strategic vision and its commitment to sustainability. In this regard, 2015 marks a milestone in the OHL Group’s commitment to sustainable development with the launch of the new CSR Strategic Plan 2015-2020.
The Plan establishes the lines of action that will guide the strategy of the OHL Group in the context of CSR over the next few years. The overall Plan comprises 9 separate plans, one corporate plan and eight individual plans for each of the 8 home markets of the Group. The plans are structured according to ISO 26000 on Corporate Social Responsibility.
A total of 758 measures to be implemented in 5 years in 8 countries. Specifically, the Corporate CSR Plan scheduled for this financial year of 2015, the 36% of the 106 measures contained in the Plan have been put into place.
Besides the Strategic Plan, the Sustainability Committee approved the OHL Group CSR Project: Employability for development, aimed at the vulnerable groups in society.
In the first quarter of 2016, the Board of Director approved the new CSR Policy of the Group, in accordance with recommendations of the CNMV.
In the context of CSR management, work was undertaken during 2015 for the preparation of a CSR Management Standard and three process maps relating to CSR management. This Standard applies to the entire OHL Group and its purpose is to formally document the current CSR management system in the Group.
The OHL Group is included in the FTSE4Good Ibex stock exchange sustainability index since the creation of the index in 2008. Presence on this index ranks the Group among the securities in the Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) sector and is a reference for asset management investors interested in companies that comply with the international ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) criteria.
- The Group is a founding member of the United Nations Global Compact Network Spain, since 2004.
- Promoter member of Forética. Through this organization, the Group participates in CSR Europe, the Forum Empresa en Latinoamérica network and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
- Membership in the Integrity Forum of Transparencia Internacional España.
- Other outstanding alliances: CDP, London Benchmarking Group (LBG), Rainforest Alliance, Spanish Quality Association, King Juan Carlos I University and Fundación WATU Acción Indígena as well as the Spanish International Agency for Development (AECID).